Grainger is a fortune 500 company and the leading broad line supplier of facilities maintenance products serving businesses and institutions throughout North America with sales of over $6 billion. Through its network of nearly 600 branches, large distribution network and multiple Web sites, Grainger helps customers save time and money by providing them with the right products to keep their facilities running.
Sr. Government Sales Manager – Los Angeles
Job ID 16471 Location
US – CA, Los Angeles
5020 – Govt Sales- West Dir GSM
Full Time – Regular
High School Diploma
At least 8 years
Grainger is ranked #6 by Selling Power Magazine as one of the 50 Best Companies to Sell For. Fortune Magazine also honors Grainger as one of America’s Most Admired Companies in its industry.
Provide both corporate and site specific customer relationship development at large, complex multi-site Government accounts. These customers will generally represent current sales greater than $10M and / or accounts and customer segments having a significant strategic impact to the organization. This includes initiating the relationship (new account development), developing existing accounts (account penetration), and managing accounts (maintaining and enhancing account relationships).
Lead the selling process and associated efforts including establishment of contract scope, alignment of company value proposition, organizational coordination, supplier integration and implementation.
Develop a meaningful measurement methodology to ensure compliance to contracts with strategic accounts. To develop, expand, and maintain agreements that deliver strong revenue growth within our value proposition while improving profitability above expected plan performance.
This position represents the highest selling role in the organization and is required to excel with the largest, most complex, and most challenging accounts in our organization. The role of this position is to take these relationships to a higher level of penetration; measured by rate of revenue growth, senior level relationships, penetration rates at local sites, and overall share of customer spend.
Develop and implement programs and plans for the accomplishment of account revenue goals on a consistent year over year basis.
Consistently create and execute agreements and contracts that achieve mutual goals.
Maximize and align gross margins with sales goal achievement.
Provide feedback and leadership on “voice of the customer” and competitive information opportunities.
Mentor and train newer members of team and to be viewed as a leader both within and outside of the department.
Provide functional direction and personal involvement as required to support the Field in the planning, penetration and barrier removal within high potential sites. To lead the communication processes with field leadership and other key business partners.
Improve and/or maintain rate of growth at or above plan with existing accounts and develop new agreements with targeted high potential new accounts.
Evaluate, negotiate and direct the development, maintenance, or discontinuation of customer agreements through the contract management process.
Negotiate significant profitable opportunities both with the largest new and existing Government customers for Grainger Industrial supply while demonstrating proficiency of the levers with the economic earning model.
Develop and implement value-added programs and key measurements that align the customer’s business objectives with our value proposition. Lead the change management process to shape
future expectations both within Grainger and customer organization.
Provide visible leadership and facilitation of the sales management process to create improved revenues and earnings for the Company.
Initiate coaching to all appropriate functional partners relative to the strategic and tactical implementation of customer specific market plans while providing feedback for their professional development.
Identify, prioritize and execute implementation opportunities resulting in accelerated revenue. Develop plan that addresses future implementation opportunities that incorporates key learnings
and best practices.
Provide leadership in Change Management methodology within the company and throughout the customer’s organization to drive optimal results.
Create and maintain a strong relationship plan with field and support management. Incorporate
senior company managers into customer development cycle.
Possess the needed skills and competencies to lead a successful turn around effort within customer relationships that are not optimized.
Undergraduate degree or equivalent business experience. MBA preferred.
Minimum 8-10 years of experience selling a structured value proposition.
An in-depth understanding of and expertise within local government, political awareness and sensitivity, and public sector procurement and contracting practices highly desired.
Previous management experience preferred.
Demonstrated achievement in the following skill and competency areas:
- Opportunity Assessment – secure relevant information and identify key issues and relationships
from a base of information; relating and comparing data from different sources; identifying cause – effect relationships.
- Business Acumen – clear understanding of all financial levers in EE analysis and how to apply them in the negotiation process. Clear understanding of Grainger financial levers. Considered a
consultant and leader by the customer for knowledge of MRO / Industry trends.
- Judgement Problem Solving – committing to an action after developing alternative courses of action that are based on logical assumptions and factual information and that takes into
consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Teamwork / Collaboration – working effectively with team / work group or those outside the formal lines of authority (e.g. peers, senior managers) to accomplish organizational goals; taking actions that respect the needs and contributions of others: contributing to and accepting the consensus; subordinating own objectives to the objectives of the organization or team.
- Negotiation – effectively exploring alternatives and positions to reach outcomes that gain all parties’ support and acceptance.
- Implementation – establishing a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal; planning proper assignments of personnel and appropriate allocation of resources. Establishing procedures to monitor the results of delegations, assignments, or projects.
- Leadership – using appropriate interpersonal styles and methods to inspire and guide individuals toward improved goal achievement; modifying behaviors to accommodate tasks, situations, and
Other skills / competencies to include:
Planning and Forecasting
Sales Management Process
Demonstrated ability to drive results within necessary timelines.