Primarily responsible for all incoming and inter-departmental mail. Knowledge and understanding of postal regulations and maintenance of the various equipment necessary in accomplishing job tasks. Maintain and organize all operations related to the mail (outgoing and inter-department). Assists with courier dispatch duties. At all times, the Mailroom staff must display a helpful, positive attitude when dealing with all internal and external customers.
The intent of this job description is to provide a summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Prompt, courteous direction and guidance to all customers (internal and external).
2. Processing all incoming and inter-departmental mail by sorting, distributing and delivering in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Responsible for the processing and preparation of all St. Luke’s Health Network mail.
4. Assists in the education of all customers regarding the postal services available and attempt to meet their needs with regard to all mail processes and regulation in a prompt, efficient and courteous manner.
5. Train and evaluate all volunteers who assist in the operations of the Mailroom.
6. Serves as courier dispatcher as needed.
7. Advises Storeroom Manager and Assistant Director of Materials Management of issues, concerns or problems as they occur.
8. Maintains confidentiality of all materials handled within the Network/ Entity as well as the proper release of information.
9. Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding issues of employee, patient and environmental safety and follows appropriate reporting requirements.
10. Demonstrates/models the Network’s Service Excellence Standards of Performance in interactions with all customers (internal and external).
11. Demonstrates Performance Improvement in the following areas as appropriate: Clinical Care/Outcomes, Customer/Service Improvement, Operational System/Process, and Safety.
12. Demonstrates financial responsibility and accountability through the effective and efficient use of resources in daily procedures, processes and practices.
13. Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding attendance and dress code.
1. Attends all departmental meetings and educational inservices as required.
2. Participates in hospital required in-services and programs.
3. Must maintain composure and positively address challenging situations.
4. Able to direct personnel in a professional and courteous manner.
5. Continued awareness of the Postal Regulations and Procedures.
6. Other related duties as assigned.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Must be able to speak, read and write English.
PHYSICIAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Standing for up to five (5) hours/day and five (5) hours at a time, sitting for up to three (3) hours/day, 1 hour at a time. Continuous twisting and turning of hands. Use of upper extremities for frequent lifting, carrying and/or pushing of up to 25 lbs. Frequently stoops, bends or reaches above shoulder level to retrieve files. Hearing as it relates to normal conversation and seeing as it relates to general near, far, color, peripheral vision and depth perception.
POTENTIAL ON-THE-JOB RISKS:
Punctures and lacerations of the skin – risk minimized by awareness and observations.
SPECIFIC PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT AVAILABLE:
MOST COMPLEX DUTY:
To ensure accurate, timely and efficient distribution of incoming and inter-departmental mail. Prioritize related job tasks to make sure work has been completed daily.
SUPERVISION (RECEIVED BY AND/OR GIVEN TO):
Storeroom Manager and Assistant Director of Materials Management. Be able to work independently and as a team member and prioritize tasks and complete them efficiently and professionally.
Must be able to effectively communicate well with all levels of hospital personnel, visitors, patients and physicians. Also, individual must possess good communication skills.
1. Be self-directed and take initiative to complete job tasks daily. Maintain positive interpersonal and interdepartmental relationships. Demonstrate responsibility and follow-through with assigned job tasks.
2. Possess a high degree of responsibility and confidentiality.
High school graduate or equivalent. Must be able to speak, read and write English.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Strong customer skills and able to work independently is preferred.
Day or middle shift with varying hours based on the needs of the department.